Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pass the celery would ya?

Just like that it's all over... family has gone back home, the decorations and tree are packed back up and all of the new gifts have permanent homes... The New Years Eve festivities have come and gone, the fireworks and glittery dresses have been put away and all of the junk food has all been replaced with rabbit food. To all of this I say GOOD FREAKING RIDDANCE STUPID 2011!!!
 
Last year was not a great year, and after reading countless 'status updates' on Facebook I see that I'm not the only one that felt that way, so many people commented on the crap year that was 2011 I have begun to think no one had a good year! It's a good thing that we have just started a whole new year because we all have the opportunity to have a fresh start at things... We can sweep the old bad left overs out the door and make an effort to have a better year, a year with better friends, better jobs, better health, a better home... whatever your "better" is. Aside from a few personal goals and "things I am looking forward to" I have set myself some artistic goals like creating and making things that inspire me, upcycling old finds and learning a whole lot more about photography. I had already made my birthday list before the Christmas holidays were over, I would like a fancy shmancy camera with tons of manual options and lenses. I have always loved photography and I love taking photos, especially when we go away and have even framed a few of my own photographs in my home (I've posted two below) but for some reason until a month or so ago it had never dawned on me to buy a nice camera. Currently I am using a Sony Cybershot, and sure it's a great camera... if you don't need to change your settings. Want to crank up the ISO? Looking to slow the shutter speed? Not going to happen with this little guy. So, my first project of 2012 is to decide what camera is my top pick... I've been doing comparisons of the Nikon D5100 and the Canon Rebel T3i, but I think I need to go into a store and actually talk to someone before I make any final decisions. 
 
 
 
Come to think about it, the camera project will be my second project... I am already underway with project one: Changing our dog's diet over to 100% raw food. No more processed, slaughterhouse floor mess combined with disgusting fillers for my girl. We started her on her new diet Friday December 30th, and let me tell you - if she doesn't take to this (health wise) I don't know how I will ever get her off it! It is like I have opened Pandora's box... Roxie is underfoot before the food even hits her bowl, if you could feed a dog heaven, this is it. I researched this raw food diet until I was blue in the face and I couldn't find a single thing wrong with any of it... it helps with just about every aspect of a dog's health and is exactly what they would be eating in the wild, so why not? I was pretty ecstatic to find out that our local butcher (Meridian Meats) carries it and they buy it from a local reputable company (Bramblehills in Chilliwack http://www.bramblehills.com/) So, hopefully it turns out she just had a chicken allergy and this will not only fix that (she's on the beef diet) but also make her healthier all around - because who doesn't want their four legged companions to live as long as possible?
 
 
On my last post I noted that I had made another custom monkey but that I couldn't post a picture until after Christmas because it was to be a gift... well, it's no secret anymore - I made a dia de los muertos (Day of the Dead) monkey for my sister!
Again, as I've said before I can do all sorts of custom monkeys so if you have an idea throw it my way, I'm sure that I can figure something out!! It could be something complex like this guy or the zombie monkey or something simple that will remind you of someone or something special everytime you see it, like I did for the "M" family. Momma "M" wanted her kids to think of each other and of her when they saw the monkeys, so I left the tops of their hearts open so that she could leave them a note, a picture or a coin that meant something to them as a family so no matter how many miles are between them they are right there with you...  
 



 
 
 
 
Phhhewf, I feel like this was an uber long post, but I guess it's been a while... and I had a lot to say (I know, I know I can hear my friends and family rumbling "No surprise there" lol) so I will shut up and let you get on with your amazing new year, I wish for all of you a better year than last and hope that you all have a great 2012... I know that I'm really excited about what it has in store and think that it is going to be one hell of a year!!!

2 comments:

  1. How much would you charge to make a Muertos Monkey for me? I would love to get one for my Son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi @cocohontas, I'm actually not actively making these anymore... Normally I would take on an extra project when someone asked but at the moment we are in the middle of a big move/renovation so I wouldn't even have the time. Thank you so much for your inquiry though :-)
    Check out http://staceyjean.storenvy.com/collections/82719-sock-animals for her sock monkeys, she has muertos, zombies and other really cute monkeys. Also you could check out Etsy for them. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete